A vaginal cyst is a closed pocket of fluid, air or semi-solid tissue filled with pus that can develop near the vagina opening. Their size ranges from as small as a pea to as large as an orange.
They usually occur when a gland or ducts are blocked, causing liquid or pus to accumulate inside.
They are majorly four types of vaginal cysts which can be caused by injury during childbirth, fluid accumulation in your glands, or benign tumors within the vagina.
- Vaginal Inclusion Cysts are the most common type of vaginal cysts and are usually very small and located on the lower back of the vaginal wall.
- Bartholin’s Cysts are fluid-filled cysts that form on one of the Bartholin’s glands located near the opening of the vagina on the vaginal lips, or labia.
- Gartner’s Duct Cysts develop when a woman is pregnant, and when ducts in a developing embryo don’t disappear after child delivery, fluid can back up into the gland and form a cyst.
- Mullerian Cysts usually develop when a structure is left behind when a baby is formed.
Vaginal cysts are rarely cancerous and in most cases do not cause any discomfort. Sometimes it might go unnoticed but are mostly discovered during a routine pelvic examination.
Treatment is unnecessary in most cases. However, if you experience unusual discomfort or pain due to the size of the cyst, you will need an immediate treatment.
Common symptoms of vaginal cyst include a small lump protruding from the wall of the vagina or have pain or discomfort during intercourse or while inserting a tampon.
To get rid of vaginal cysts without surgery, there are many natural and effective remedies.
This article shows you how to get rid of vaginal cysts without surgery.
1. Take a Sitz Bath
Taking a sitz bath is an effective way of reducing discomforts that accompanies vaginal cysts.
It also helps reduce vaginal irritation and encourage healing by promoting cyst drainage.
What’s more, sitz bath helps sanitize the area and reduce the risk of an infection.
How to use Sitz Bath to get rid of vaginal Cyst
- Fill a bathtub with warm water.
- Add 1 to 2 teaspoons of Epsom salt into the water.
- Dip your genital area for about 15 minutes intermittently until the water loses its heat.
- Wipe your genital area gently with a clean towel afterward.
- Take a sitz bath about twice or thrice daily for a week.
2. Try Warm Compress
Warm compress is another effective home remedy that can help soften vaginal cyst and encourage draining, which in turn helps in the healing process.
It also helps kill bacteria thereby reducing the risk of infection and fighting inflammation.
How to use Warm Compress to get rid of vaginal Cyst
- Dip a washcloth or a clean towel in hot water and squeeze out the excess water.
- Place the warm cloth on the affected area for a few minutes.
- Repeat this process 3 or 4 times daily until the fluid start draining out of the cyst.
Note: Do this with care to avoid burning the delicate tissues in the vaginal area.
3. Turmeric Might Work
Turmeric is also a potent remedy for the treatment of vaginal cysts.
The active compound in turmeric which is called curcumin works as an anti-inflammatory agent that helps alleviate pain and inflammation.
Additionally, turmeric is a natural antiseptic, meaning it can help prevent and treat any kind of infection.
How to use Turmeric to get rid of vaginal Cyst
- Make a paste by mixing 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder and a little coconut oil together. Rub the paste gently over the cyst and alow it to sit for a couple of hours. Wash it off with lukewarm water and repeat the process until the cyst bursts.
- Alternatively, drink a glass of hot milk with 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder mixed in it. This helps promote healing and control pain.
Note: While applying turmeric paste, be careful as it can cause a yellowish stain on fabric and skin.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is another effective and easy remedy for vaginal cysts. Due to its acidic nature, it can help reduce the size and swelling of vaginal cysts.
It also helps maintain the pH level of the vagina, further reducing the risk of infection and even inhibit the development of more cysts.
How to use Apple Cider Vinegar to get rid of vaginal Cyst
- Make a mixture of 2 teaspoons of organic, raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar with ½ cup of warm water. Soak a clean wool or ball in this mixture and place it directly on the cyst for about a minute. Repeat this process 3 to 4 times daily for a few days.
- Another option, pour 1 cup of raw, unfiltered, apple cider vinegar into a bathtub filled with warm water. Dip your lower body into the water for about 15 minutes. Repeat this 2 or 3 times daily for quick relief.
- Or, mix a teaspoon of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar in a glass of warm water and drink it twice daily to promote healing from the inside.
5. Aloe Vera Could Rid Vaginal Cyst
Aloe vera is an effective home remedy for a vaginal cyst.
It possesses healing and anti-inflammatory properties that aid in the healing process and reduces inflammation.
How to use Aloe Vera to get rid of vaginal Cyst
- Get a fresh aloe vera gel from an aloe plant leaf and apply it directly on the cyst region. Leave it for about 15 to 20 minutes and thereafter rinse it off with lukewarm water. Repeat this remedy 3 or 4 times a day.
- Another option, mix 1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel with ¼ teaspoon of turmeric powder. Stir it vigorous until the mixture forms a paste. Gently apply this paste on the cyst. Leave it on for about 30 minutes before rinsing it off with lukewarm water. Carry out this home remedy once a day.
6. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil could be all you need to get rid of a vaginal cyst. Particularly, it can really help with pain and inflammation associated with vaginal cysts.
Tea tree oil is also a potent home remedy for Bartholin cysts.
What’s more, tea tree oil also helps get rid of harmful bacteria in the vaginal area and thus reduces the risk of vaginal infection.
In fact, it is very effective as it helps drain cyst within 1 or 2 days.
How to use tea tree oil to get rid of vaginal Cyst
- Make a mixture of 2 or 3 drops of 100 tea tree oil with 2 teaspoons of coconut oil. Soak a cotton ball in this mixture and gently apply on the cyst. Leave it for about 20 minutes and then rinse it off with lukewarm water. Repeat this remedy once or twice daily or as needed.
- Alternatively, add 3 to 5 drops of tea tree oil to a cup of water. Use this solution to rinse the affected area a few times every day until you see improvements.
7. Use Garlic
Garlic is a very popular spice and can prove effective as a home remedy for any kind of vaginal cysts, mainly due to its potent antibiotic properties.
It has properties that kill bacteria around the cysts, thereby reducing the risk of n infection.
What’s more, garlic, when ingested, helps boost the immune system to help fight infections and promote healing.
How to use garlic to get rid of vaginal Cyst
- Rub a little-crushed garlic on the cyst area for 2 minutes. Wash it off with lukewarm water. You can apply coconut oil to reduce the stinging effect of garlic. Repeat this remedy at least twice daily.
- Alternatively, you can eat 1 crushed garlic clove 2 or 3 times a day, gulp it down with a glass of water to boost your immune system.
Yogurt is a good ingredient that you can use to cure vaginal cysts.
Greek yogurt being rich in lactobacillus bacteria helps restore the normal pH of the vagina. This helps stops the activity of infectious microorganisms that can cause infections, which could make the condition worse and delay the healing process.
What’s more, yogurt also reduces vaginal odor.
How to use Yogurt to get rid of vaginal Cyst
- Dip a cotton ball in a plain yogurt and gently apply it on the cyst area. Let it stay for a few hours, then rinse the area thoroughly with lukewarm water. Do this thrice or thrice daily.
- Another option, you can eat 1 to 2 cups of yogurt daily
Aspirin can be used to treat cysts. Due to its antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties, it helps deal with the pain and inflammation as well as reduces the risk of infection.
How to use Aspirin to get rid of vaginal Cyst
- Crush a few tablets of aspirin into a powder form.
- Add a little water to form a paste. You can as well use castor oil instead of water (this will help reduce inflammation and aid healing process).
- Gently apply this paste on the cyst area and leave it for about 5 minutes.
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water. Repeat this 1 or 2 times daily.
Sepia has been used as a remedy for vaginal cyst for a long time. It is made from the dark, brownish-gray pigment obtained from the ink of the cuttlefish.
Sepia is very effective in fighting inflammation and pain associated with vaginal cysts. In addition, it can also be used to prevent the development of cysts.
Sepia is readily available in the homeopathic clinic in pellets. However, for correct dosage, consult your doctor.